Sunday, March 2, 2008

Penang Clan Jetties



I was told that such water villages were pretty common in early Singapore. Houses were built on stilts and rows of houses were linked by planked walkways over water. The first thing that hits you is the simple furnishings in the houses, mongrels lying around, enjoying the lazy sea breeze, and the unmistakable smell of the sea. Of course the hygiene level might not be good by our modern standards.

A bit more about such jetties can be found in this website:
http://travelmalaysiaguide.com/penang-clan-jetties-weld-quay/

Here are some pictures I took along the way at the Chew Jetty.




2 comments:

Rin said...

I liked Chew Jetty.. did u see the little temple at the entrance? Our impromptu tour guide kindly showed us all the way to the end of the dock. Some of the houses are quite huge. Bit stinky over the water though.

Ling said...

Yes, it did smell a bit. I hope it's coming from biodegradable stuff and not chemical ones! Heaps of mudskippers around the area too.