Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Bungy, Winery, Steamship & Farm Visit!!

It's Day 5 and I was slowly getting used to everything there.

Our first stop was the Kawarau Bridge - the site of the world's first commercial bungy jumping operation. This is roughly how it goes. You register and pay, then someone will measure your height and weight to determine the thickness and length of a rope, made up of rubber band materials, which will be tied to your legs. You have a choice of just flinging yourself up and down or touching the water - that will affect the calculations of the rope. You get on the bridge and try to look brave while people are staring at you. Taking a deep breath, you jump. While you are hanging upside down, swinging above the Kawarau River, a bright yellow boat with 2 very bored men in swimsuits will be released and the 2 men will try to 'fish' you using a pole. You try to grab onto the pole and they will then pull you into the boat. End of story.


We saw 2 brave people attempting the jump. The 1st person was 57 years old and he didn't make a sound. I wonder if he enjoyed the whole process or he has blanked out all thoughts? The second one was a young kid. He made a lot of noise and because he didn't tuck in his t-shirt, the audience get to see his big tummy while the t-shirt was stuck on his face!

Next, we explored New Zealand's largest wine cave at Gibbston Valley Winery (http://www.gvwines.co.nz/). It was established in 1987. We had our wine tasting at the underground wine cave. It was quite an experience. We were introduced to Pinot Gris. I quite like the taste. Unfortunately, none of us were wine connoisseur so when we were told that there was a cheese place next door, everyone made a beeline to check out the assortment of cheese... hehe...

After lunch, we took the TSS Earnslaw Vintage Steamship (http://www.zqn.co.nz/earnslaw/) to Walter Peak Farm. This steamship has been in operation since 1912, when it was first used to carry goods to remote settlements. I didn't explore the engine room. It was very hot! Plus the view outside was absolutely breathtaking! On our way back, I stayed in the Steamship and enjoyed singing along with fellow new friends, while the ship's pianist played songs I learnt when I was a very young kid. The pianist 90 year old mother sang with us too! It was a wonderful way to end an eventful day.















No comments: