Saturday, June 19, 2010

Flower Market and Yuen Po Street Bird Garden




The Flower Market was like a large magnet for me. I kept gravitating towards it every morning. I really envy the folks living above the Flower Market. Imagine fresh flowers greeting you everyday! I'll let the photos show you a tiny fraction of what they have... And I finally get to see how a fresh peony flower looks like - too luxurious for me. I still love a stalk of rose anytime! One day, a few shops were selling delicate looking blue water lilies. So beautiful! I bet they'll look good with pink lilies in a flower arrangement. Throw in some silver dollar eucalyptus and soft yellow callas lilies... oh, what a symphony of colours and sweet smelling flowers.


I got curious and walked into the Yuen Po Street Bird Garden on the second last day of my stay in Hong Kong. Lots of people were hanging their birds on the branches and having chit-chats. The shops there specialised in birds, bird cages and bird feed. My goodness! I never imagined that the birds have a wide variety of yummy treats like meal worms, grasshoppers and scorpions of various shapes and colours, not just bird seeds! If you are not a big fan of birds, you will not like the unique smell all over the place. It reminded me of my very long dead pet rooster. Took this picture when I saw the lady patiently feeding hairless baby birds using chinese brush! One of the shops was sunning 2 large trays of meal worms. I am terrified of these creatures. My knees went weak when I saw happy wild sparrows flying around, picking the choicest morsel from the trays and in the process, flicking worms out of the trays! My god... the pathway was crawling with wriggling worms! Of course, I didn't stay there for long. Eewww.... worms....

No comments: